Monday, August 11, 2014

5e Musings: Healing & Hit Dice

Art by Alexandre Togerio
Like 5e's magic system, I wasn't too fond of the system's implementation of hit die as healing surges. While I have a few problems with this rule, the main one is that I'm not the biggest fan of the random element. Originally, I was contemplating a house rule that would replace the randomness with a set number. However, a thought occurred to me while I was brainstorming ideas: Why not find a nice middle ground between the two different methods?

With that in mind, I propose the following house rule. While taking a short rest, you can spend a hit die to regain hit points, as described in the D&D Basic Rules. However, you are now given a choice:

Choice #1: Take the rounded up average of each hit die (1d6=4, 1d8=5, & 1d10=6) you spend instead of rolling, or...

Choice #2: Roll your hit die as normal, using the results you receive no matter what.

While I'm still not that a fan of randomness when it comes to hit points, I think I like the middle ground of this rule and how it gives players a choice to make. Do they want to play it safe and take the average, or take a risk and roll the dice? Options that facilitate choices are always good in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment