Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Why I Don't Care About D&D Next Anymore

On January 9, 2012, Wizards of the Coast announced it was working on the 5th edition of Dungeons & Dragons. Public playtesting began on May 24th of that same year and like many gamers, I eagerly signed the non-disclosure agreement and downloaded the playtest packet. While I didn't see anything groundbreaking, I felt the basic system was interesting enough that I decided to keep giving each future playtest packets a look. However, I recently noticed something as I was looking through the most recent playtest packet.

I really don't care about D&D Next that much.

While there are a handful of interesting elements present in D&D Next, like the Advantage/Disadvantage mechanic and Finesse weapons, but I have yet to see anything that would actually make me set Pathfinder and the other editions of D&D aside for this new game.

Secondly, the "design by committee" process has started to turn the game into this weird, Frankenstein system   that become less appealing each time I look at it. It seems like they are trying to please everyone, which in turn will turn off a lot of people. I think I would have preferred if they would have just made the game and let us playtest it, then used the comments that were not just people yelling, "THAT'S NOT D&D!" to refine the system instead of creating new subsytems in an attempt to please everyone.

Now, I will probably give the next few playtest packets a glance out of pure curiosity and to see if there are any other elements that I can steal for the other games that I run or play. However, I doubt I'll actually sit down and run the game as it is again. I just don't care enough about D&D Next to do that anymore.