Sunday, July 28, 2013

Happy Belated Birthday Gary Gygax

Yesterday was the birthday of the late Ernest Gary Gygax, the man who co-created Dungeons & Dragons with the late Dave Arneson in 1974 and is considered by many as the "Father of D&D." In 2008, after suffering two strokes and narrowly avoiding a subsequent heart attack in 2004, Gary passed away due to an abdominal aortic aneurysm. At Gen Con the same year, a plaque dedicated to Gary was created and read: 
"He was the first DM, he taught us to roll the dice. He opened the door to new worlds. His work shaped our industry. He brought us Gen Con, for this we thank him. In fond memory of Gary Gygax, and in celebration of his spirit and accomplishments." 
Without the work of Gary Gygax, this hobby that I love so much wouldn't exist. I wouldn't have met some of my best friends and I probably would probably be a very different person. I wish I could have met Gary before he died so I could tell him two, simple words: Thank you.

Happy birthday Mr. Gygax. We all miss you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment