Friday, July 26, 2013

Psionic Musings

Art By Wayne Reynolds
When it comes to Dungeons & Dragons and its cousin Pathfinder, Psionics (or psyhic magic, whichever floats your boat) has always seemed to be one of those "hot button" topics. Some people seem to hate them with every fiber of their being, and others love them more than life itself.

Personally, I have always found myself lurking somewhere in the middle of this debate. I like the idea of psionics and I feel like they do have a place in D&D/Pathfinder. However, I have never been the biggest fan of the "power point" system that psionics used in 3rd Edition and 3.5. I know a lot of people who really love psionics also love the power point system, and I that's perfectly fine. I'm just not a big fan of point-based power systems in tabletop games. It's a weird quirk of mine. 

Recently, I've been thinking some of the things that I'd like to see in Pathfinder at sometime in the future and psionics keeps popping up. However, since I've made it pretty clear I don't want a system similar to the one found in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, I've been trying to think of a different way to handle psionics. After thinking long and hard about it, I think I've narrowed it down to one of two different methods. 

The first method, I will admit, would be something of a compromise for those psionics fans who really enjoy the power point system. This method would pretty much utilize the ki pool of the monk and ninja classes. At 1st level, the psion would gain access to a ki pool based on his Intelligence modifier and would use their ki points to manifest a small number of powers based on their chosen discipline and a few "universal" powers that would probably resemble some of the more mystical ninja tricks in design. I think this would be a nice compromise since it allows those who like the power point system to have a point-based magic system, but it wouldn't require the designers to make a whole new subsystem. It would also match some of the fluff surrounding the land of Vudra, the region in the Pathfinder Campaign Setting where psionics is supposed to be the most common. 

The second method, which would probably anger some fans of psionics, is to make the psionics work exactly like magic does. The psion, in my mind, would probably work a lot like the sorcerer and be able to "spontaneously manifest" his powers. However, instead of having magical bloodlines, the psion would have mental disciplines that grant him certain abilities and powers. If this method was used, you could easily add psionics into any published adventure or supplement since you wouldn't have to add the new subsystem as well because it would work just like magic. Sadly, like I've already said, most fans of psionics would probably reject this method. 

 Now, if I had to be honest, I think I'd prefer the second method over the first. While it would pretty much eliminate the "Psionics Are Different Than Magic" option from the game, I think it would make things a lot easier and would allow psionics to actually be used more often than it would be if it had its own, separate subsystem. However, I know some fans of the concept would hate this method and that's fine. If they want a power point system, they could always use the material that Dreamscarred Press has been making. As I've said before, I'm not the biggest fan of the power point system, but the designers at Dreamscarred Press have done a good job at converting the system to Pathfinder and fans of the Expanded Psionics Handbook should enjoy it. 

4 comments:

  1. In my games I renamed the Sorcerer to Mystic and it represents everything not Wizard. Wizards are spell casters who manipulate reality using words, items, and symbols of power in conjunction. Mystics are everyone else. Whether they manipulate reality with their minds, by binding with a demon/creature of power, or its innate ability, its the same class and mechanics. That makes psions, witches, etc. all the same class and also means that they all use "spell" slots. I don't mind the point system used in 3rd edition and later but I don't see a need to add it when the existing system works well for my table.

    That said, mechanically I've made some changes. I threw out the bloodline feature of the Sorcerer class because I never liked it. Seemed way too clumsy and cludgey for my liking. Wizards lose the magic focus thing-a-ma-jig. They don't need it. Instead the Sorcerer gets it. As long as the sorcerer has it's focus they can cast spells. Want to play a witch? Take a familiar as your focus and select appropriately "witchy" spells. Want a psionic? Take a crystal or gem as your focus and select appropriately "psionic" spells.

    I have also done away with spell schools since I never liked those (as far back as 2E when I started playing). Just one big pool of spells at each level. "Schools" are more of a role-playing thing in my games and are essentially traditions that wizards come from. Learning spells from someone in your school is easier than from some-one outside your school.

    There are a few other things I have changed and I've been thinking about switching Sorcerers to a pseudo-point system. Whereby each spell slot gets converted into a number of spell levels equal to the level of the slot (one 1st level spell = 1 spell level, one 2nd level spell = 2 spell levels, etc.)and summed. After that if a sorcerer wants to cast a spell, they merely spend the number of spell levels equal to the slot of the spell they want to cast. Adds way more flexibility to the class for experienced players but allows those new to the game or my table to use the out of the book tables. Haven't implemented it yet but I've been thinking.

    To sum up, in my campaign worlds magic = psionics (all they are doing is manipulating reality) and psions use the spell tables. I do have a campaign setting in mind where psionics are different from magic and independent, in which case I may want a separate class and mechanism, but no one has wanted to play it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I rather like bloodlines and the schools of magic, I find the idea of your "mystic" class rather interesting and cool.

      I also like the sound of your pseudo-point system. In fact, I've been working on something similar for a fantasy game that I've been toying with for the past few months.

      Delete
  2. I forgot to mention the one exception to what I wrote above and that is the Psychic Warrior. I really really like the class as written but can't find a decent way to convert it to a non-point system. Psychic Warriors are the best blend of warrior and caster that I've seen and so much of that comes from the various psionic feats that are available to to them and their unique power list. I thought of using the Paladin or Ranger as a basic template but the spell casting ability is such a small part of those classes that it doesn't work. Besides, I removed the Paladin class from my games.

    So for now, the Psychic Warrior, if someone chooses to play one, remains as is as a point system. Though magic = psionics still holds.

    ReplyDelete