Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Five Questions With Lone Wolf's Liz Theis.


Lone Wolf Development, the company behind the incredibly popular Hero Lab, recently released an awesome new product called Realm Works that promises to streamline campaign management and make the GM's job much easier. Luckily, I was given the opportunity to ask Liz Theis from Lone Wolf a handful of questions about the product.

First, tell us a little about yourself. Who are you and what is your role in the creation of Realm Works? 

"My name is Liz Theis. I'm the Community Development Manager for Lone Wolf. I handle all of our marketing (social media included), communications (monthly newsletter, website updates), manage our forums, and talk to awesome bloggers and podcasters such as yourself."

What was the first roleplaying game you ever played? Are you currently playing/running any games? If so, do they utilize Realm Works?

"The first game I ever played was Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. My dad was the GM, and I played a unicorn. I believe the story was that I had to find my kidnapped mother. I finally found her kidnappers (a group of lizardmens or orcs). Instead of fighting them, I apparently confronted them and asked, "Why can't we just be friends?" That threw my poor dad off, but I'm sure he handled it like a pro.

Right now, I'm currently playing in a remote Pathfinder game with our long-time group in Illinois. My GM picked up Realm Works when it released, so I'm sure we'll be seeing it soon. I'm currently putting in a custom game for Hollow Earth Expedition into Realm Works. Right now I'm developing the overarching plot, and I'll be fleshing out the people, places, and events within that plot soon. I'm hoping to run the campaign for some of the other Lone Wolf staff members in the Bay area."

What is Realm Works exactly? What is the program's basic premise? How does Realm Works make the game master's job easier? 

"Realm Works is a game-system neutral, campaign management tool. Built be a team of experience GMs, they set out to solve many of the problems and roadblocks that GMs run into over and over.

You can create a richer world by bringing your content to life with images, statblocks, and even audio and video files. Once built, you can automatically link your game details together and visualize your world's relationships and connections. If you're trying to save time, you can cut down on your prep by reviewing session summaries and finding your notes within one tool.

You can even use our patent-pending Fog of World tools to share your world. This ground-breaking technology can be used to share every aspect of your story with your players – maps, portrits, NPCs, locations, relationships, plots, and a whole lot more, either on your laptop screen or an external monitor.

To see Realm Works in action, check out our Virtual Tour."

One of your most popular products is Hero Lab. Does Realm Works have some compatibility with Hero Lab? If not, do you plan on doing so in the future?

"Just like you can add and view an image in Realm Works, you can also add and view a Hero Lab portfolio within Realm Works. It makes it incredibly easy to bring up an NPC! Just upload the portfolio, and you can access the character with just a few clicks!

If you want to edit the portfolio, you'll need to open Hero Lab separately."

One of the first additions planned for Realm Works is allowing GMs to add published content to their campaigns. Do you have other features similar to this that you would like to add to the program in the foreseeable future? What are they? 

"The next big update will be a Realm Works Player Edition. The Realm Works Player Edition will give players access to review content revealed by the GM on their own computers outside of the game session. Players will even be able to independently lookup information, review what they've learned, and make notes with same powerful linking capabilities as the GM version for a small cost." 

I would like to thank Liz Theis for giving me her time and answering my questions. Those of you who are interested in Realm Works and would like to purchase it, you can do so HERE. This sounds like an amazing product that's worth every cent.


No comments:

Post a Comment