Monday, December 1, 2014

Initial Impressions of Star Wars: The Force Awakens Teaser


The first teaser trailer for J. J. Abrams' Star Wars: The Force Awakens was released. I first saw it while visiting my FLGS when one of the owners had it playing on the TV that sits one one of the many shelves behind the counter and I've seen it several times since then. I thought I'd give my initial impressions and what I hope to see in the theaters next December. 

While this is just a quick teaser, I can already say I'm way more optimistic about Episode VII than I ever was about Episodes I, II, or III. Mostly because George Lucas isn't directing or writing it. However, the effects also seem to be more in line with the original trilogy than the prequels, possessing that lived-in quality that the sleek CGI of the prequels desperately lacked. The film also seems to be visually interesting, which is a plus. However, I'm still curious about the story and the characters. I hope they're just as interesting. 

Finally, I want to address the elephant standing in the desert: the black storm trooper. When I saw the teaser, I knew the racist geeks would be furious and I wasn't disappointed. Personally, I'm glad we're moving away from the "all storm troopers are clones of the same guy" crap. However, if you need an explanation, just assume the Empire recruited some extra manpower to strengthen their troops after the death of the Emperor and Darth Vader or decided to vary the stock of their clones. 

Anyway, what did you think of the teaser? Are you excited, or are you more cautious? Leave your thoughts in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment