Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Happy Birthday Robert E. Howard

((Picture from Unknown Source))
108 years ago today, the pulp writer Robert E. Howard was born in the town of Peaster, Texas. While most recognize him as the creator of Conan the Barbarian, Howard was more than a sword & sorcery author. He dabbled in hard boiled detective stories, weird horror, historical fiction, boxing, westerns, pirates, and even poetry. Howard was also one of Weird Tales "Big Three", with the other two being H.P. Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith. 

Howard is easily one of my favorite writers. Whenever I write an adventure for a fantasy campaign, I want it to have that same feeling of excitement and adventure that a Conan story had. I think I might pop in my copy of Conan the Barbarian or pull down one of the short story collections I own and read a story in his honor. 

Question Time: What is your favorite Robert E. Howard story?  

No comments:

Post a Comment