Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy Birthday Dungeons Deep & Caverns Old!

Obligatory "Keep Calm" Meme Inclusion: Check
Exactly one year ago today, I decided to create Dungeons Deep & Caverns Old as an outlet for me to express my ideas about roleplaying games and discuss a hobby that I love with all my heart. Now, I've written 140 posts on a semi-regular basis (with the occasional hiatus here and there due to life and all) and I believe this blog has helped me grow as both a game master and an amateur game designer.

I would like to thank all the readers and commentators. It feels great to know that people are actually reading my ramblings and feel compelled enough to actually leave comments. For the most part, I've loved the discussions that have developed in the comment sections and its been pretty interesting to see all these different perspectives. 

I plan to keep my regular Monday-Wednesday-Friday posting schedule, and I already have a few ideas and topics I'd like to discuss in the near future. Until then, I thought I'd end this post with a quick look to the past. Here are several of my favorite posts from last year. 
  • Musings on Racial Religions (Part 1 & Part 2): I've always been fascinated by fantasy religions. Its one of the reasons why I love playing clerics so much. So, I had a lot of fun coming up with these alternate belief systems for the other humanoids. I might do a Part 3 sometime in the future, and I might just have a poll to determine what humanoids I use. We'll see. 
  • Heroes of Sandpoint Session Rec
    aps (Part 1, Part 2, & Part 3): Honestly, these were some of the most frustrating posts to write, making sure I remember everything that happened and make sure the posts are actually interesting to read. However, I'd be lying if I said I hated them. I think the frustration actually makes me like them a little bit more weirdly enough. 
  • Dungeon World, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Enjoy the Game (Click Here): This is easily one of my most popular posts, which still kind of baffles me since its just me talking about how much fun I had playing a session of Dungeon World. However, I had fun writing it and I believe its one of my better written posts. 
  • The Problem With Women in Fantasy Art (Click Here): This is a topic that I feel very strongly about, and I enjoyed talking about it. The fact that Dave Gross left a comment on the post didn't hurt either. 
  • Flavorful Features & Flavorful Races (Click Here & Click Here): While these didn't get that much attention, I had fun writing them and still believe you can do a lot of cool things just through flavor alone. However, that's hardly a groundbreaking idea, but it doesn't make the point any less valid. 
  • Five Traits I Look For In Players & Game Masters (Click Here & Click Here): I'm not sure why, but I really like writing advice posts. If I had to pick, I think these two were my favorite to write. 
So, 2013 has come and gone. Hopefully 2014 will be just as eventful. I hope everyone has a good year of gaming. 

Question Time: What was your favorite gaming moment of 2013? 

No comments:

Post a Comment