Friday, September 12, 2014

A Saturday Night at the Hideaway

Sorry for the past few days of silence. I had all my wisdom teeth removed Monday and I've spent the last few days relaxing, eating A LOT of yogurt, and sleeping. I had planned to post this on Monday or Wednesday, but that obviously didn't happen. Since I'm feeling better today, I thought I'd go ahead and do it today.

Now, on with the show.

On a regular basis, my friends and I make the incredibly short trek (well, for most of us anyway) to our local FLGS (Halflings Hideaway Games). Usually, this is due to me running the next session of one of my campaigns. However, due to the collapse of my recent Pathfinder game, the past few Saturdays have mostly consisted of my group playing random board or card games into the wee hours of the night. This time was no different.

Blurry Cellphone Images for the Win!
When we arrived, one of the store's owners was playing Cover Your Assets with her child and two other customers (one of which happened to share the same name as me. Some confusion ensued). Once they were finished, we quickly gathered a few people and played a game of 7 Wonders. Although I have a few friends who are absolutely in love with this game, I had never played it before. While it took a few rounds to really get the hang of it, 7 Wonders was a lot of fun and possessed a great amount of depth. No wonder it won the Spiel des Jahres in 2011.

Afterwords, my group decided to make the drive to Pizza Hut to get some late lunch. Since we had a fun time playing with him and wanted to repay him for teaching us how to play 7 Wonders, we brought the other Cody along. While eating eating some pizza and cheesesticks (except Scott, who likes to be the odd man out and get pasta for some reason. Weirdo), we chatted about comic book movies and gaming. You know, as you do. 

David & Scott look excited to be building train routes!

Once we returned to the shop, we cracked out Other Cody's copy of Ticket to Ride. Neither David or Scott had played it before, so I was excited to introduce them to joy of the building trains across North America (its more interesting than it sounds). Due to the streamlined nature of the rules, both of them seemed to grasp it rather fast and had fun. That's two more people converted to the Ticket to Ride fandom. 

After taking a quick break to player a few shorter games (like Kittens in a Blender and Sushi Go!), we finished off the night with one final game of 7 Wonders. Unlike the first game, we decided to use some of the expansions. Now that we all knew the rules, the game moved at a much quicker pace. 

Lee pointing out another player's leader.
All in all, it was a pretty fun night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment