Friday, February 27, 2015

Goodbye Mr. Spock

Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, everyone's favorite Vulcan
Today is a very sad day. While this news isn't gaming related, I felt like I should mention it here anyway due to the subject matter.

Leonard Nimoy, an icon within the geek community for playing Spock in numerous entries within the Star Trek franchise, passed away this morning in Bel Air, California. The actor was 83 years old and the cause of his death is reported to be chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Nimoy's Star Trek cast members, including William Shatner and George Takei, expressed Sadness at his death.

Shatner tweeted, "I loved him like a brother. We will all miss his humor, his talent, and his capacity to love."

"We return you now to the stars, Leonard," wrote Takei. "You taught us to 'Live Long And Prosper.' and you indeed did, friend."

This really hits me hard. Although I've always been more of a Star Wars guy at heart, I still enjoyed Star Trek and personally loved Nimoy's performance as Spock. I remember when I was younger, watching Wrath of Khan for the first time, and I actually teared up when Spock sacrificed himself to save his crew mates. That scene still gets me to this very day, and I'm almost 23 years old.

Although Mr. Nimoy is gone, he's left a legacy behind. A legacy that has brought so much joy and happiness to numerous people over the years, and will do so for many years to come.

Leonard Nimoy, you have always been, and always shall be, our friend.

In honor of Mr. Nimoy's passing, I want to know what your favorite role of his was. Leave your answers in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment