Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Random Thoughts: Would You Ever Pay Your Game Master?

While some would deny this, I believe many Game Masters have asked themselves the following question at least once in their lives: "What if I could get paid for running games?" I know I've thought about it in jest a few times, but always discarded it as a weird idea and nothing more.

Apparently, a group of people decided to make that idea a reality. This group is calling themselves the "Professional Game Masters Society", and you can find their website HERE. Supposedly, their mission is to bring the art of Game Mastering to a higher level of quality, thereby improving roleplaying games in general. How do they plan on doing this? By having GMs receive monetary compensation for their services (i.e., get paid). 

When I first read about this, I immediately thought it was a weird idea. Why would anyone pay for something they could get for free? However, a thought occurred to me. We pay entertainers to do their jobs, and a Game Master could be seen as an entertainer, so I can see why someone might make the argument that Game Masters should receive payment for their services when running a game for a group of strangers. 

With that being said, I think this whole thing is a little weird and strange. I think I would be more okay with this idea if it was just a group for players unfortunate enough to not have a GM of their own could fine one in their area, but their would be no paid element. 

What do you guys and gals think about all of this? Do you think it's a good idea, or a terrible one? Would you ever pay a GM to run a game for you? Or do you believe if this group has to exist, it should be more of a volunteer thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment