Monday, November 4, 2013

NaGa DeMo: What's My Idea?

So, as most of you already know, its National Game Design Month and I plan on participating this year. However, before I can participate, I need to figure out what kind of game I want to make first. So, its time for a brainstorming session.

While I have a lot of ideas floating around in my head, I can't use all of them because it would make the project cluttered and raise the chances of me not finishing in time. So, I'm going to focus on the three ideas that interest me the most and choose one of them.

The first idea, which is based on a campaign concept that's been sitting in the back of my head for awhile, is an urban fantasy game set in a small town with a large boarding school that just so happens to sit on a nexus of supernatural energy. Because of this, fantastical and horrifying creatures are drawn to the town and some of the students attending the boarding school happen to be more than meet's the eye as well. The players would be some of these students, having to deal with growing up and handling their new found abilities (whether they be wizards who have just discovered their magical abilities or werewolves dealing with their transformations and puberty) and secretly fighting these supernatural forces to protect the town and school.

The second idea, which was influenced by a post I made recently, is a zombie survival game. The game would focus on the survival aspect and the rebuilding of society instead of the chaos of the initial outbreak. The game would also focus on the characters adapting to this new world dominated by the walking dead and the character's slowly losing or doing their best to hold onto their humanity as time goes on. For that reason, it would have something similar to the Sanity mechanic from Call of Cthulhu that would go down or up due to the character's actions and how they handle certain situations in the game.

The final idea is a superhero game set in the 1940's during the Golden Age of Comic Books. The game would be about the first generation of superheroes fighting crime, dealing with Nazis and World War II, and other threats. Also, the game could turn into a generational game where you follow the growth of superheroes from the Golden Age, through the Silver and Bronze Ages, into the modern day.

While the first two ideas would be easier to accomplish within a month, the third idea would be a fun challenge and I've been wanting to run a Golden Age Superhero game for a long time. What do you guys and gals think? Which idea should I run with? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment