Monday, June 16, 2014

Game of Thrones Reviews: "The Children"

Tyrion looks pretty cool with that Lannister crossbow.
SUMMARY
While Jon Snow attempts to negotiate with Mance Rayder, an unexpected force from south of the Wall arrives and changes everything. Meanwhile in Meereen, Daenerys faces the harsh reality of her situation and realizes how little control she has over her dragons. Beyond the Wall, Bran finally arrives at the Weirwood and learns more about his destiny. Finally, Tyrion learns the truth about his situation and Arya decides to leave her old life behind. 

WHAT DID I THINK?
"The Children" is a very somber episode, bringing a number of dangling plot threads to a close while setting up things to come in the following seasons. While this wasn't my favorite season finale, "The Children" was definitely a solid ending and has left me wanting more. 

If I had to pick out my favorite moments from the episode, it would have to be Tyrion's confrontation with Tywin after being released from his cell and Brienne's brawl with Sandor Clegane. Both scenes were excellent, each actor giving it their all and giving great performances. Also, the fight scene between Brienne and the Hound was particularly brutal and pretty tense for what it was. Its sad to know we won't be seeing Tywinn or Sandor anymore. They will definitely be missed. 

Although I enjoyed the episode, I do have a few quibbles with it. First of all, I find it hard to buy that Tywinn had no idea that Jaime and Cersei were lovers, especially after his comment about wanting Jaime to sire children with the name Lannister. I was also a little underwhelmed by the Child of the Forest. She seemed to normal to me. I guess I was expecting something more sylvan and feyish. 

FINAL VERDICT
While not the best finale of the series, "The Children" is a solid episode. The somber tone meshes well with many of the scenes, and the creation of new plot threads leaves the viewer wanting more. It was a nice cap to the season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment