Friday, February 21, 2014

D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge - Part 3


Here's Part 3 of the D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge. Click here and here to read Part One and Part Two.

15. What was the first edition of D&D you didn't enjoy? Why?: The first edition of D&D that I didn't enjoy was 4th Edition. When it was first released, I disliked how it was so different from 3rd Edition, how many disassociated mechanics there were, and it just didn't feel like D&D to me. While my opinions about it have softened over the years and there are certain elements of the edition I do like (flatter math, rituals, the fluff, etc.), I still prefer to run & play older editions.

16. Did you remember your first Edition War? Did you win? ;): My first Edition War was the one that happened during the switch from 3rd Edition to 4th Edition. When 4th Edition first came out, I was a very opinionated detractor and would bash 4th Edition at every possible opportunity. However, I've come to realize that Edition Wars are rather pointless. It doesn't matter what edition or game you are playing. As long as you are having fun, you are doing it right.

17. First time you heard that D&D was somehow "evil": I was born and raised in a rather religious area of the country, so I heard that D&D was evil very early on. However, being an agnostic, I pretty much knew that claim was bullshit. Sadly, that didn't stop people from thinking I was a Satanist because I played this demonic game. I might return to this topic in the future.

18. First gaming convention you ever attended: Unfortunately, I have never attended a gaming convention. However, I hope to change that in the near future.

19. First gamer who annoyed the hell out of you: The first gamer to truly annoy me was a guy I'm going to call "Dick". Dick was that player who would constantly make Chaotic Evil characters who would act like total assholes and would give the "I'm just playing my character" argument when you called him on it. He's the reason why I banned Chaotic Evil PCs from my game.

20. First non-D&D RPG you played: While I'm not 100% sure of my answer, I believe the first non-D&D RPG I ever played was New World of Darkness. It was a short campaign where the players were police detectives investigating a strange murder. The game started out serious, but quickly devolved into a dark comedy.

21. First time you sold some of your D&D books - for whatever reason: I've actually never sold any of my D&D books. I'm one of those people who rarely sales something they have purchased.

Continued in Part Four...

No comments:

Post a Comment