Thursday, February 20, 2014

Fantasy Art Thursday: "The Bloodstone Lands" by Larry Elmore

((Click HERE to go to Larry Elmore's website))
Larry Elmore, like Erol Otus or Clyde Caldwell, is a fantasy artist that needs no introduction. Even if you've only been apart of this hobby for a short period of time, I'm pretty sure you've at least heard Elmore's name and have probably seen some of his work. His work helped define the look of 2nd Edition AD&D and he definitely left his mark on the hobby.

Since I feel like showcasing something a bit more "classic" today, I thought I'd post one of my favorite Elmore pieces: the cover to the Forgotten Realms supplement The Bloodstone Lands. While this might not be one of his most memorable pieces, there's just something about it that I love. I like how bleak the snowy landscape looks. I love how dark and stormy the sky is. I love how the mage looks more tribal and is probably going to feel the bite of that sword before he can finish casting that spell, and I love the spots of rust on the warrior's armor, giving the image a more gritty feel. It really makes me want to play in the kingdom of Damara and the lands surrounding it.

Question Time: What's your favorite Larry Elmore piece? 

No comments:

Post a Comment