Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Musings on the Monk

From the Ultimate Combat supplement,
 Illustration by  Dmirtry Burmak
I must be crazy. This is my second post and I've decided to stick my head into the Pathfinder Monk debate.

If you, like me, like to frequent the Paizo forums, you have probably noticed the large amount of threads talking about this problematic class and ways to fix it and make it better. For the longest time, I just ignored these threads and went on my merry way. However, with all the tinkering I have been doing with the Pathfinder RPG I've started to realize a lot of those threads were right; there are a lot of problems with the Monk.

I think one of the most obvious problems with the monk is that it's a martially focused class that possesses a moderate attack bonus progression and a d8 hit die. All of the other martially focused classes (the Barbarian, the Cavalier, the Gunslinger, the Fighter, the Paladin, the Ranger, and the Samurai) all have a fast attack bonus progression and a d10 hit die. Why is a class that focuses on unarmed combat the only one left out? So, if I had to redesign the class, giving it a fast attack bonus progression and a d10 hit die would be one of the first changes I'd make.

Second, I also feel the monk is one of the most linear classes in the game. While you get some interesting abilities, the core monk has very little room for variations. I think the monk would benefit heavily from a set of class features similar to rogue talents and ninja tricks. This would allow players to make their monk characters a little more unique and allow for some interesting ki abilities. I'd also probably allow the monk access to its ki pool a lot earlier than in the Core Rulebook version.

Finally, I think the monk relies one too many ability scores. Most classes rely on two or three ability scores. However, the monk needs a good Strength score so It will have better accuracy with its unarmed attacks and enhance his damage output. It needs a good Dexterity and Wisdom score to enhance its Armor Class since it can't wear armor, and it needs at least a decent Constitution score so it will have a decent amount of hit points. While you could just take Weapon Finesse so you could use your Dexterity score instead of your Strength score for your unarmed attack rolls, I hate that I'd have to spend a feat to do so.

After getting this all out, I feel like deconstructing the monk class and rebuilding it to fix some of or all of these problems. It would be an interesting project.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's interesting to note that reliance on multiple ability scores is one of the Monk's original defining characteristics. When the class first became part of the game, stats were still rolled 3d6 in order. (Meaning roll 3d6 for your Strength. Then 3d6 for your Dexterity, and so on).

    I don't know if you've ever rolled a character that way, but getting a character with a single 14 is exciting. A character with a 15 or 16 is amazing! A character with an ability score of 17 is a coveted treasure. And I've yet to see a character with an ability score of 18.

    But if you wanted to play a monk, you had to roll 15 strength, 15 wisdom, 15 dexterity, 11 constitution, and no other stat could be below 6!

    Characters who were capable of being monks are rare in the extreme.

    I'm not saying we should return to that version of the monk, mind you. But it's an interesting historical perspective on your complaint that the class relies on too many ability scores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @LS - I think I've only rolled the 3d6 in order only once and it was for a one-shot of Labyrinth Lord. Like you said, it is pretty exciting when you do get those high scores.

      I also agree that it is some interesting historical perspective that didn't occur to me when I was writing the post. It's kind of like the paladin in AD&D with its ability score requirements.

      Thanks for the comment and points this out. I actually didn't think about it.

      Delete