Monday, February 11, 2013

Zero Charisma: A Few Thoughts

Zero Charisma tells the story of Scott Weidemeier, an overbearing game master who finds his life turned upside down when a "hipster gamer" joins his group. However, things continue to grow worse when his grandmother's health starts to falter and his estranged mother and her new boyfriend re-enter his life. As a result, his comfortable life starts to spin out of control.

After watching the trailer, I find myself feeling a lot of mixed emotions towards this movie. While I'd like to see more movies feature roleplaying games and the hobby, I feel like Zero Charisma is showing the stereotypical side of the hobby that has been the butt of numerous jokes over the years.

While I know one or two players in my area that are like Scott, most of the people I play with are pretty normal guys who have pretty decent social lives that just like to gather around a table, roll some dice, and tell stories together.

Honestly, I wish this film would be more like The Gamers series of films where the roleplaying games is used to facilitate the humor and poke fun at some of the stereotypes in gaming instead of making fun of the hobby.

However, since I haven't actually seen the film yet, all of this is just speculation based on the trailer and how it came off to me. I'm going to give it a chance to prove me wrong when it comes out. You never know, I might be completely wrong and this film might end up being completely hilarious.

How about you guys? What are your thoughts on Zero Charisma?

No comments:

Post a Comment