Friday, February 7, 2014

D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge - Part One


I guess I should explain this post and what happened to the other six posts that were apart of the D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge. While I had planned to do this as intended, making a post every day throughout the month answering one of the twenty-eight questions, I found that to be somewhat tedious and boring.

However, I don't want to give up entirely because some of the questions are interesting and I want to answer them. So, instead of answering one question per post, I thought I'd make four posts throughout the month where I answer seven questions each. This first post will be summarizing the previous six questions that I've answered and the seventh one as well. You can expect the next three posts to drop on the 14th, the 21st, and the 28th.

1. First person who introduced you to D&D. Which edition? Your first character?: The person who introduced me to D&D was my father, but not because he was a gamer himself. Originally, I wanted to play Warhammer Fantasy due to a visit to a Games Workshop store while on vacation. However, he discovered how much the miniatures cost and vetoed that. Instead, he looked up similar games and discovered the 3.5 edition of Dungeons & Dragons. Afterwords, we purchased the Basic game box set for that edition and I managed to get some friends to play with me. My first character ended up being a GMPC who was a human fighter named Ydoc (not very imaginative I know, but it worked).

2. First person you introduced to D&D. Which edition? Their first character?: Since I wanted to play this new game right away, the first person I introduced to D&D was my little sister. If I remember correctly, her first character was a halfling rogue who liked to stab things.

3. First dungeon you explored as a player character or ran as a DM: The first dungeon I explored was the example dungeon that came with the 3.5 Basic Game box set. I remember it being a pretty bland dungeon with very loosely connected encounters and rooms. It wasn't very memorable to be honest.

4. First dragon you slew (or some other powerful monster): The first dragon I killed was the young black dragon presented as the final monster for the example dungeon I mentioned above. I believe we managed to survive by the skin of our teeth thanks to some lucky dice rolls. That encounter actually helped me realize how stupid it is to have a dragon as the final boss for a 1st level adventure.

5. First character to go from 1st level to the highest level possible in a given edition. (Or what's the highest level character you ever ran?): The highest level character I ever ran was a 8th level multiclass wizard/fighter/rogue for a 3.5 Forgotten Realms game set within the Dalelands. I have never reached the higher levels for a number of reasons (mostly my preference for the power level of lower levels and campaigns dying before we can reach those levels).

6. First character death. How did you handle it?: My first character death happened when my first character Ydoc was killed by a demon while exploring a hidden temple of either Demogorgon or Orcus. I remember handling it pretty well since Ydoc's death allowed me to play something new and I wasn't attached to him anyway.

7. First D&D product you ever bought. Do you still have it?: While the first D&D product I owned was the 3.5 Basic Game box set, the first D&D products I purchased with my own money were the Player's Handbook, the Monster Manual, and the Dungeon Master's Guide, all of which I still own.

Continued in Part Two...

No comments:

Post a Comment