Friday, August 7, 2015

#RPGaDay2015 - Days 1 through 7 (A.K.A., Time to Play the Catch Up Game)


Looks like we're doing this again. I meant to do this earlier, but stuff in the real world prevented me from doing so until now. Today, I'm going to answers the first seven questions in order to catch up with everyone else, then I'll go about the rest as normal, with a question per day until the end of the month. Now that I've said that, let's get this show on the road.

#1 Forthcoming Game You're Most Looking Forward to?
This is why I should pay better attention to release schedules, because that would make this question so much easier. However, I feel like the game that I'm most intrigued by is Leagues of Gothic Horror. I've been looking for a game to run a Gothic Horror campaign for awhile, and this might be the perfect fit for it. Also, I like the idea behind it and think the Ubiquity System is pretty cool.

#2 Kickstarted Game You're Most Pleased You Backed?
This one's a tricky one because I don't financially back projects on Kickstarter that often. When you're between jobs, you usually don't have a whole lot of extra cash to spend on things like Kickstarter. With that in mind, I'm going to go with the game I'm most pleased with that was funded on Kickstarter, which is probably Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition or FATE.

#3 Favorite New Game of the last 12 months?
This one's pretty easy: Fantasy Age. I already liked the AGE System as it was presented in Dragon Age, and Fantasy Age made me fall in love with it. Fantasy Age gives me everything I like about Pathfinder and other class-based systems, but without the bloat of unnecessary mechanics. Fantasy Age will definitely be hitting my table a lot in the near future.

#4 Most surprising game?
Being completely honest here, I think the game that has surprised me a lot recently is probably Star Wars: Edge of the Empire. I've talked about this before, but I unfairly judged Edge of the Empire when it was released because it uses a system similar to Warhammer Fantasy 3rd Edition, which I utterly despise. However,when I finally played it, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

#5 Most recent RPG purchased?
That one's pretty easy as well: Fantasy Age. I purchased that book as soon as it hit the metaphorical shelves of DriveThruRPG. I don't regret that purchase one bit.

#6 Most recent RPG played?
The most recent RPG I've played was Savage Worlds. A new friend is running a steampunk superhero campaign set in an alternate version of our world where the American Revolution failed and the colonies still belong to England. The game is incredibly fun and I'm having a blast playing the Wraith, a character who is a hybrid of Batman and the Spirit.

#7 Favorite Free RPG?
I admit, I'm about to stretch the definition of "free" here. The game that I'll be selecting is Dread, the diceless horror game that uses a jenga tower for task resolution. Although the game is far from perfect, I absolutely adore it and its probably the game I enjoy running the most. While the actual rulebook is $3 (which you should buy by the way), you can get a 4 page reference document that contains all the basic rules HERE for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment