Saturday, August 8, 2015

#RPGaDay2015 - Day 8: What's Your Favorite Appearance of RPGs in Other Media?


I think I should give everyone reading this a quick warning. You are going to hear me say the phrase "this question is difficult for me" more times than you will be able to count, and today is no different. When I started thinking about this one, three things quickly popped into my head and I had trouble deciding which was my favorite. 

The first, and most obvious choice was the 18th episode of Freaks & Geeks, where James Franco's character Daniel plays D&D with John Francis Daley's Sam and his friends. The next option would be to go with the 14th episode of Community's 2nd season, where the group plays D&D to help cheer a fellow student up. Both would be excellent choices, but ultimately I decided to go with the third, even though its the most recent. 


In Guardians of the Galaxy & X-Men: Black Vortex #1 has the follow scene within its pages. This scene depicts the Guardians of the Galaxy playing a tabletop game of some sort, most likely D&D, with Rocket Raccoon acting as the group's game master. I don't know about you, but I absolutely love the idea of superheroes playing the same games that I love so much, imagining them rolling some die and killing some orcs in between saving the cosmos. I love it even more because we find out this isn't something new and Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel) is apparently an avid game, with Beast having been her GM at one point. 


Marvel, I beg you, please release a special issue where we get to see these heroes playing a RPG session. I want to see Hank's GM skills, I want to know what kind of characters Carol prefers, and I would love to know what over Avengers have rolled a couple of d20s in their lives. Make this happen and I'll give you all of the moneys. I repeat, ALL THE MONEYS!

No comments:

Post a Comment